Re: FNDT: Shearwall and slab foundation question

Antonio,
I was not questioning whether he was right or wrong for asking. He raised my
curiosity as to how well an existing perimeter slab foundation would work
for higher lateral loads. I would think that the monolithic pour would
provide additional area to distribute the pressure on the compression side
of the wall. I would also think that any returns or perpendicular bends in
the foundation wall (for example at a corner) can be considered in order to
limit the need to design a massive grade-beam.

Dennis