RE: EPOXY COATED REBARS

My understanding of the "Barney Bars" was not that they *should* be coated
after bending, but that they are required as part of the standard to be
coated after bending.  I also recall there being requirements for testing
the bars to verify the integrity of the coating.  The Navy has done a lot of
research on this topic, and also has guidelines for the care and handling of
this rebar prior to and during placing (NFGS 03201 and NFGS 03202).

We had Douglas Burke, a civil engineer with the Naval Facilities Engineering
Service Center give a lecture on this topic and the research he had done
testing some different rebar protection techniques while I was in school.
It's frightening how bad epoxy coating can be if you don't have great
quality control.

Just me chiming in

Paul McEntee