Response to Lateral Decision

I would retrofit both stories, not just the bottom story.
Reasons include:
Stiffening the bottom story usually increases the acceleration of the second
level
The second story may approach "weak" or "soft" status, even though codes give
loopholes
The fixed lower story may provide less energy dissipation, leaving more energy
for the second
Your partially strengthened church may no longer fit the basic first mode
response assumptions
The client may be unable pay for refined analysis to (try/fail to) refute the
above possibilities
Your engineering judgment says "don't try to make a bad idea work"

Good luck.

Jeff Wykoff, CE/SE/PE, depending what state (geographical) I am in.
jpwykoff(--nospam--at)mmm.com