Re: Garage door detail

Kate -

As far as I know, the Code does not recognize the existence of plywood
"frames."  I think you would need to analyze the 16" pier section as a shear
wall, which obviously does not satisfy the minimum H/L ratios required by code
(2:1 in LA, 3.5:1 in UBC).  I would recommend one of 2 solutions.  1.
Cantilever steel columns out of the ground connected to a grade beam / footing
/ slab edge at the base.  Remeber Rw=3 for this case.  2.  If the garage is
small enough you may fall under the "garage" exception in the UBC which allows
for diaphragms in rotations for small single story buildings, and then take
all of your load into the other 3 walls.

Good luck.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.