further growth of the English language

Yeah, they never call it "going engineer" do they?
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:	Nancy Block, INTERNET:nancb(--nospam--at)jurassic.eng.Sun.COM
TO:	(unknown), INTERNET:falline(--nospam--at)ix.netcom.com
	(unknown), INTERNET:jcumming(--nospam--at)netcom.com
	(unknown), INTERNET:gregson(--nospam--at)calweb.com
	(unknown), wildwoman1
DATE:	2/3/98 2:25 PM

RE:	further growth of the English language

Sender: nancb(--nospam--at)jurassic.eng.Sun.COM
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:25:34 -0800
From: nancb(--nospam--at)jurassic.eng.Sun.COM (Nancy Block)
To: gregson(--nospam--at)calweb.com, jcumming(--nospam--at)netcom.com, falline(--nospam--at)ix.netcom.com,
        wildwoman1(--nospam--at)compuserve.com
Subject: further growth of the English language

----- Begin Included Message -----

 You've all heard the recently coined slang phrase "Going Postal". Here
 are some more examples, from the book "Jargon Watch", just published
 by Wired magazine . . .

 By the way, for the out of touch: Going Postal - Euphemism for being
 totally stressed out, for losing it. Makes reference to the
 unfortunate track record of postal employees who have snapped and gone
 on shooting rampages.

 Adminisphere - The rarified organizational layers beginning just above
 the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often
 profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were
 designed to solve.

 Alpha Geek - The most knowledgeable, technically proficient person in
 an office or work group. "Ask Mike, he's the alpha geek around here."

 Assmosis - The process by which some people seem to absorb success and
 advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.

 Blowing Your Buffer - Losing one's train of thought. Occurs when the
 person you are speaking with won't let you get a word in edgewise or
 has just said something so astonishing that your train gets derailed.
 "Damn, I just blew my buffer!"

 Bookmark -To take note of a person for future reference (a metaphor
 borrowed from web browsers). "I bookmarked him after seeing his cool
 demo at Siggraph."

 Beepilepsy - The brief seizure people sometimes have when their beeper
 goes off (especially in vibrator mode). Characterized by physical
 spasms, goofy facial expressions, and interruption of speech in
 midsentence.

Brain Fart - A biproduct of a bloated mind producing information
 effortlessly. A burst of useful information. "I know you're busy on
 the Microsoft story, but can you give us a brain fart on the Mitnik
 bust?" Variation of old hacker slang that had more negative
 connotations.

 Career-Limiting Move (CLM) - Used among microserfs to describe an
 ill-advised activity. Trashing your boss while he or she is within
 earshot is a serious CLM .

 CGI Joe - A hard-core CGI script programmer with all the social
 skills and charisma of a plastic action figure.

 Chip Jewelry - A euphamism for old computers destined to be scrapped
 or turned into decorative ornaments. "I paid three grand for that Mac
 SE, and now it's nothing but chip jewelry."

 Chips and Salsa - Chips = hardware, salsa = software. "Well, first we
 gotta figure out if the problem's in your chips or your salsa."

 Crapplet - A badly written or profoundly useless Java applet. "I just
 wasted 30 minutes downloading this stinkin' crapplet!"

 Cobweb Site - A World Wide Web Site that hasn't been updated for a
 long time. A dead web page.

 Dancing Baloney - Little animated GIFs and other Web F/X that are
 useless and serve simply to impress clients. "This page is kinda dull.
 Maybe a little dancing baloney will help."

 Dead Tree Edition - The paper version of a publication available in
 both paper and electronic forms, as in: "The dead tree edition of the
 San Francisco Chronicle..."

 Depotphobia - Fear associated with entering a Home Depot because of
 how much money one might spend. Electronics geeks experience
 Shackophobia.

 "Dilberted" - To be exploited and oppressed by your boss. Derived from
 the experiences of Dilbert, the geek-in-hell comic strip character.
 "I've been dilberted again. The old man revised the specs for the
 fourth time this week." also known in western Washington State as
 "Spacelabbed"

 Dorito Syndrome - Feelings of emptiness and dissatisfaction triggered
 by addictive substances that lack nutritional content. "I just spent
 six hours surfing the Web, and now I've got a bad case of Dorito
 Syndrome."

 Egosurfing - Scanning the net, databases, print media, or research
 papers looking for the mention of your name.

 Elvis Year - The peak year of something's popularity. "Barney the
 dinosaur's Elvis year was 1993."

 Flight Risk - Used to describe employees who are suspected of planning
 to leave a company or department soon.

 404 - Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error message
 "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be
 located. "Don't bother asking him . . . he's 404, man."

 Generica - Features of the American landscape that are exactly the
 same no matter where one is. "We were so lost in generica, I actually
 forgot what city we were in."

 GOOD Job - A "Get-Out-Of-Debt" job. A well-paying job people take in
 order to pay off their debts, one that they will quit as soon as they
 are solvent again.

 Glazing - Corporate-speak for sleeping with your eyes open. A popular
 pastime at conferences and early-morning meetings. "Didn't he notice
 that half the room was glazing by the second session?"

 Graybar Land - The place you go while you're staring at a computer
 that's processing something very slowly (while you watch the gray bar
 creep across the screen). "I was in graybar land for what seemed like
 hours, thanks to that CAD rendering."

 Gray Matter -Older, experienced business people hired by young
 entrpreneurial firms looking to appear more reputable and established.

 Nyetscape -Nickname for AOL's less-than-full-featured Web browser.

 Irritainment - Entertainment and media spectacles that are annoying,
 but you find yourself unable to stop watching them. The O.J. trials
 were a prime example.

 It's a Feature - From the 'Mr. Bill' adage "It's not a bug, it's a
 feature." Used sarcastically to describe an unpleasant experience that
 you wish to gloss over.

 Keyboard Plaque - The disgusting buildup of dirt and crud found on
 computer keyboards.

 Link Rot - The process by which links on a web page became as obsolete
 as the sites they're connected to change location or die.

 Nyetscape - Nickname for AOL's less-than-full-featured Web browser.

 Ohnosecond - That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that
 you've just made a BIG mistake. Seen in Elizabeth P. Crowe's book The
 Electronic Traveller.

 Open-Collar Workers - People who work at home or telecommute.

 PEBCAK - Tech support shorthand for "Problem Exists Between Chair and
 Keyboard." (Techies are a frustrated, often arrogant lot. They've
 submitted numerous acronyms and terms that poke fun at the clueless
 users who call them up with frighteningly stupid questions. Another
 variation on the above is ID10T: "This guy has an ID-Ten-T on his
 system.")

 Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of whacking the heck out of an
 electronic device to get it to work again.

 Plug-and-Play - A new hire who doesn't need any training. "The new
 guy, John, is great. He's totally plug-and-play."

 Prairie Dogging - When someone yells or drops something loudly in a
 "cube farm" (an office full of cubicles) and everyone's head pops up
 over the walls to see what's going on.

 Salmon Day -The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream
 only to get screwed in the end. See also "Spacelabbed"

 Seagull Manager - A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, shits
 over everything and then leaves.

 Squirt The Bird - To transmit a signal up to a satellite. "Crew and
 talent are ready...what time do we squirt the bird?"

 Telephone Number Salary - A salary (or project budget) that has seven
 digits.

 Tourists - People who take training classes just to get a vacation
 from their jobs. "We had about three serious students in the class;
 the rest were tourists."

 Umfriend - A relationship of dubious standing. "This is Hank,
 my...um...friend..."

 Under Mouse Arrest - Getting busted for violating an online service's
 rule of conduct. "Sorry I couldn't get back to you. AOL put me under
 mouse arrest."

 Uninstalled - Euphemism for being fired. Heard on the voicemail of a
 vice president at a downsizing computer firm: "You have reached the
 number of an uninstalled vice president. Please dial our main number
 and ask the operator for assistance." See also Decruitment (but not in
 this list).

 Vulcan Nerve Pinch - The taxing hand position required to reach all of
 the appropriate keys for certain commands. For instance, the warm boot
 for a Mac II involves simultaneously pressing the Control key, the
 Command key, the Return key and the Power On key.

 World Wide Wait - The real meaning of WWW.

 "Yuppie Food Stamps" - The ubiquitous (widespread) $20 bills spewed
 out of ATMs everywhere. Often used when trying to split the bill after
 a meal: "We all owe $8 each, but all anybody's got is yuppie food
 stamps."

----- End Included Message -----

----- End Included Message -----