Re: Garage door detail

>>The main shrinkage will be across grain.  The glulam and the plywood
should
show little shrinkage.  The amount of nail grip loss will therefore be
minimal.<<

Yes; my main concern about shrinkage was the wall studs. We have ply and
GLB (engineered, minimal shrinkage) and sawn lumber (more shrinkage).

If we put HD's at the base, we would have a pinned connection. However,
John Rose of the APA tells me that there aren't really comnmercially
available HD's to take uplift loads of that magnitude. Which puts the
kabosh on designing this element as a portal frame.

Oh well

Kate O'Brien