Re: Garage door detail

I can only think of two ways to gain fixity in wood. Embed it into concrete
and embed it back int wall framing with sufficient force to prevent rotation
and translation. I do not believe that you can obtain fixity in wood using
bolted connections. The nature of the materials will not prevent changes in
the connection due to compression and tension of wood fibers to create and
effective moment connection.
IMHO, the head can not be considered any more than than drag and a brace to
resist buckeling. The wall is a pier, not a column and therefore can not be
designed adequatly to resist moment at the bottom -UNLESS - the bottom is
embedded like a flag pole.
I corrected a problem in a condo complex in Simi Valley where the original
engineer designed the wood post in the garage as a fixed column using a
holddown as the method of obtaining fixity. Needless to say, the column
failed as it split parallel to grain. This was proof enough. The only way it
might have worked is if the wood was dropped into a steel tube which was
embedded into a foundation or fixed by welded plates to an adequate
foundation.
I think the question is moot if you agree with this premise.

A 16" wide shear panel 7'-0" in height is barely sufficient for even the
lightest loads due to wind. I would question this one. In the real world of
gabled roofs and higher wind areas, the loads to the front of a garage would
exceed the deflection requirment of even a 2'-8" x 8' pier.

Dennis Wish PE