Re: OSB roof and shearwalls wet from these rain

EDLStruct(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Dear fellow engineers,
> I designed this commercial building using OSB boards for both roof diaphragm
> and shearwalls.  Now is being contructed.   They are not covered when these
> heavy rains hit.   I am afraid that they might swell and lose strength.  If
> anyone who have experience in using OSB which got heavy rained on and would
> like to share your experiance with us about this matter, I would appreciate it
> greatly.
> Thanks,
> Ed Latthitham S.E.
> Oxnard, CA

OSB panels are composed of chips that are individually coated with
phenolic resins prior to the bonding process.  The panels recieve an
additional water resistant coating (press release agent) during
manufacture.  During a recent project I spec'd OSB panels for a portion
of 9' CIP stemwall formwork...just to see how they performed.  The
panels fared as well as my "struct 1" plywood and stripped clean without
a release agent (pattern looks nice too!).  I do not believe limited
term exposure will damage the integrity of your project.
Paul Reilly PE  Sacramento