Re: Truss Connection

David -
  Is the l/r = 300 limiting slenderness ratio for the bottom chord members an
absolute? Section B7 of the LRFD Specification for Structural Steel Buildings
states that said ratio "PREFERABLY" should not 300. Indeed, the corresponding
Commentary recommends that "...more liberal criteria are suggested for tension
members...". I'm obviously not suggesting use of a limiting l/r = 600 in order
to reduce the member size to correspond to the design axial load. However, I'm
only making this suggestion to allow yourself some flexibility to reduce the
required design connection load.

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD