Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Homeowner Needs Engineer

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
MarthaAlic(--nospam--at) wrote:
> Hello:
> Do you need a license. What kind of work is this?

First, you need a driver license to drive to Oceanside. Then you need a
business license to conduct business with the homeowner. If it is a
matter of painting the retaining wall, you need an architect license, if
it is soil related settlement problem, you need a civil engineer,
preferably geotechnical engineer license.  If you have a structural
engineer license, you can probably charge more than a civil-structural
license.  If you want to repair the wall yourself, you'll need a
contractor license.  If you want to get paid, you'll need a collecting
agency license.

By the time you get all these licenses, you'll be out of business before
you even start any work.

Tom Chiu, SE
Thomas Engineering
Walnut, CA

P.S. For those who practice without license.