Re: Signing mylars or vellums

Lynn,
It is my opinion that the use of the word original does not refer to the
vellum or mylar, but to the drawings used on the job which have been stamped
and permited by the building official - such as original permit set. I would
refuse (and have refused) to stamp anything that can be dupulicated or
changed without my knowledge. A wet stamp signiture should be used to
protect the property intellectual rights as well as authenticity when
compared to the original vellum or mylar. This would not be possible unless
the original mylar or vellum is maintained by the EOR and not allowed to be
reproduced by anyone other than him/her.

To make matters worse - a vellum or mylar does not guarantee an original
since it can be a copy from an electronic drawing. The term "original" is
confusing, but I believe it would be valid to make an assumption in our
industry that an original used for construction bears the stamp of both the
EOR and the Building Official and is considered the permit set.

That's my interpretation.
Dennis Wish PE