Uncooperative owner

I have a client who is quite late on paying my engineering bill on a small
residential job and the project is about to break ground.  I have  lost my
patients with this guy.  One provision in my contract (which he never
returned) states that if I am not paid, my responsibilities and obligations
are terminated.  I am considering sending a letter to the building
department, with a copy to the client saying that I no longer take
responsibility for this project.  It seems to me that this will either put
the heat on the client to send me a check or dissolve my professional
obligations to an obviously un-cooperative owner.  Is this adviseable?,
possible?, legal?

Jerry R. Taylor  (jrtce(--nospam--at)mbay.net)