Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Uncooperative owner

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
At least in Texas, Small Claims Court is a handy option.  It even works
quite well for "pay when paid" disputes.  The cost is less than $50, and
does not require any lawyers!  The only limitation is that claims cannot
exceed a ceiling of about $5000. 

Stan Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

>From: 	Roger Turk[SMTP:73527.1356(--nospam--at)]
>Sent: 	Thursday, February 12, 1998 10:06 AM
>To: 	seaoc(--nospam--at)
>Subject: 	Uncooperative owner
>Your work is copyrighted, whether or not you put the copyright symbol on it.
>You have not *given* or *sold* him the plans and specifications, you have 
>licensed them to him for use on a particular project.
>Three things that I can think of that are within your right would be:
>1.  Send a certified letter to the client stating that you have not received 
>payment for use of the plans and specifications and that continued use 
>without payment could constitute copyright infringement.
>2.  Register your plans with the U.S. Copyright Office.
>3.  Notify the building official that circumstances require you to remove 
>your seal from the plans and specifications.
>A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
>Tucson, Arizona