RE: Modulus of subgrade reaction

Bowles book uses modulus of subgrade reaction because it is easier to test for that E or v.  You can directly test for k which is better than test for another parameter and then calcing the one you actually need.

Back to the question at hand:

Contact a local geotech for this info.  In my local area values are typically about 150 pci.  The geotechs in this area will typically include this value in their reports to aid in slab design.

John Jones
Pell City, AL