Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Uncooperative owner

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Caldwell, Stan wrote:
> At least in Texas, Small Claims Court is a handy option.  It even works
> quite well for "pay when paid" disputes.  The cost is less than $50, and
> does not require any lawyers!  The only limitation is that claims cannot
> exceed a ceiling of about $5000.
> Stan Caldwell, P.E.
> Dallas, Texas
> >----------
> >From:  Roger Turk[SMTP:73527.1356(--nospam--at)]
> >Sent:  Thursday, February 12, 1998 10:06 AM
> >To:    seaoc(--nospam--at)
> >Subject:       Uncooperative owner
> >
> >Your work is copyrighted, whether or not you put the copyright symbol on it.
> >You have not *given* or *sold* him the plans and specifications, you have
> >licensed them to him for use on a particular project.
> >
> >Three things that I can think of that are within your right would be:
> >
> >1.  Send a certified letter to the client stating that you have not received
> >payment for use of the plans and specifications and that continued use
> >without payment could constitute copyright infringement.
> >
> >2.  Register your plans with the U.S. Copyright Office.
> >
> >3.  Notify the building official that circumstances require you to remove
> >your seal from the plans and specifications.
> >
> >A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
> >Tucson, Arizona
> >
> >
Another option you may consider is to contact the owner of the property.
In our notice of intent to lien it states that in Washington State
residential property owners must be notified within 10 days and
commercial property owners must be notified within 60 days after
beginning the work.  It also gives suggestions to the owner on how they
can be sure they don't end up with a lien on theie property such as
writing the check to both parties.  email me at andeng(--nospam--at) if
you with to have me give you a copy of our standard form.  The law may
be different in other states.