Re[2]: Modulus of subgrade reaction

The values you quote, which appear in Table 2-7 of that particular edition,
are not modulus of subgrade reaction, which incidentally has units of force
per length cubed. For example, "pci" would mean psi of bearing pressure per
inch of displacement. Therefore, 1 pci means that 1 psi of bearing produces 1
inch displacement of the soil surface.  Be careful when using "k" values out
of a text and applying them to something large like say mat foundation, for
example. Many times the values given are for a 1'x1' plate they have to be
reduced for a mat foundation using formulas originally reported by Terzagi in
his 1955 paper on the subject.  Soil texts such as Bowles usually give these
equations, which are different for clays and sands.  The reductions are
significant !  For example, for a soil with a 1x1 plate value of say 300 pci,
when applied to a 60 ft. sq. mat, the "k" value for use in the analysis is
5 pci according to the Terzaghi equations. Rather than use the 1'x1' values
as a base, I personally rather do (or use from a Geotech report) a settlement
calc for the particular soil using standard mentods, and to then divided the
bearing pressure by the predicted displacement to obtain a "k" value.  The
resulting "k" value will be different over the loaded area, and then one has
a choice of using non-uniform k's in a program such as PCA MATS, which allows
that, or using a single value of k in an analysis. Obviously, judgement is
needed when doing this because you would like to minimize the number of
different k's input into the analysis, and some mat analysis programs such as
ELAMAT can accept only one K value, which is then applied uniformly over the
mat in the analysis.