RE: Maintenance of Records

We keep all our shop drawings, superceded plots of our plans, all our
architectural sets, and all the calculations, memos, faxes, etc. until the
project has been completed and we've been paid in full.  The reason for
keeping all our old copies of our velums and architectural sets is so we
have some ammunition to ask for more money if a project drastically changes
scope.  If we didn't keep all our past itterations of calculations and
drawings, we'd have no proof of all the additional work we did that didn't
show up on the final plans.

When the jobs finished, we can toss out the old drawings, keeping just the
final record set.  All calcs, administration stuff (faxes, memos, plan check
letters, etc) are filed basically forever.  At least we have files dating
back to the first jobs our firm has done.  Not too sure what accounting does
with old billing stuff.

Just my observations

Paul