Re: Maintenance of Records

I would suggest that a prudent standard to document retention is as
follows:

Information kept indefinately
-Contracts
-Soils Reports
-Original Construction Documents (Structural)
-Addenda
-Field Reports
-As-Built Drawings (If applicable)
-CAD Diskettes

Information kept 10 years
-General Project Information
-Design Criteria
-Correspondence
-Telephone Confirmations
-Change Orders
-Field Questions (RFI's, DC/VR's, etc.)
-Logs

All other information, including calculations, should be purged at
the completion of the project; ie, after construction, final payment,
and no ongoing open disputes.

Ed Dean

> Date:          Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:42:40 -0600
> From:          "W. Gray Hodge" <hda(--nospam--at)evansville.net>
> To:            seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject:       Maintenance of Records

> Does anyone have an opinion about how long an office should keep
> different types of records.  That is, how long should we keep such items
> as calculations, shop drawings, record drawings, correspondence files,
> financial records, etc. for each project?  We have recently moved, and
> we're about to drown in our own paper!

Edwin T. Dean, P.E., S.E.
Dean Engineering
edean(--nospam--at)teleport.com