Re: Uncooperative owner

<<  I am considering sending a letter to the building
 department, with a copy to the client saying that I no longer take
 responsibility for this project. >>
     I would have no problem doing this but the building official may not be
able to do anything. While the code now defines " engineer of record " it does
not advise the building official of what to do in your situation so most will
just do nothing.
     It is worth a try and i feel there should be no guilt . This is a two
lane road where the client wanted a fast / cheap/ excellent design from you in
return for PAYMENT  that was mutually agreed to prior to start, i assume.
      I have found collection agencies moderately successful . For about
$400.00 per year they "go after " late payers and are successful on the ones
that we have solid contracts with and there was no dispute ( they claim a
problem with services). If it goes to court ( almost never ) they get 50%.

     Tom Harris, SE
     Thousand Oaks, CA