Re: Foundations in Swelling Soil

A geotechnical engineer recently recommended a "stiffened slab system" for a
foundation on expansive clays for one of my projects.  This system uses
grade
beams at approximately 20 ft on center each way and a sand cushion under the
floor slab.  Design criteria for the grade beams is determined by an
empirical
method - this method is given by the Post-Tensioning Institute (PTI)
publication "Design and Construction of Post-Tensioned Slabs-on-Ground".
The
method can also be used for conventionally reinforced concrete.  I also
found
a description of this method in "Designing Floor Slabs on Grade" by Ringo
and
Anderson, published by the Aberdeen Group.  (It involves alot of tables and
charts.)