Re: MBMA Code and Wind Loads

The contractor has no earthly reason to pay any attention to your letters.
Any changes that he requests will result in an increase in cost to him.  This
is one of the drawbacks to design-build, which I assume would describe this
project.

The metal building industry has made its mark in modern day construction via
this modus operandi.  I happen to practice in an area where hurricane force
winds are an annual event and the metal buildings perform miserably.  The only
soultion to the problem is a strong specification that is enforced, which
speicifies the code and the appropriate wind speed. However, in you situation,
the owner apparently did not do this and as a result the building stans a very
good chance of being replaced one day.   At least the foundation can be
reused.

Marc Barter
Mobile, Alabama