RE: legal responsibilities of the building official

This may be ideal, but is generally not the case from my experience. For the
most part, the general has multiple crews working different jobs and has
kept the stamped set "in a safe place" to prevent loss in the field or
possible damage by one of the subs.
If I need to make spot inspections, I generally know what I am looking for
or I bring my office set with me. Inspectors in my area don't just drop in,
but are scheduled. At this time, the general will be usually be on the site
and have the stamped set of plans available for comparison.
Remember, I am not usually doing public works or large type projects. In
this case it may be more customary to keep the permit set on the site. I
recently was hired by a contractor NAVCAL out of Las Vegas who was doing a
renovation on a hotel here in Indian Wells. In this case the construction
company had trailers set up as local offices and all permit sets were
readily handy.
For the small jobs, the permit set may be in the generals car or home most
of the time.
Dennis Wish PE