Re: MISC: Reality Check - Dumb Question

I have run across this situation before, that is if I understand your situation. As mentioned, anchor bolts should be installed to all fndn sill plates with two min per piece of sill. So for your 4' panel you could possibly have no anchors within the shearwall, that is, between holdowns (if needed). If the sill plate is continuous each side of the shear wall, then the required anchors could resist shear outside the shearwall. However, my intuition says it would be best to always have the required anchors with in the shear panel. What if someone puts a door right next to your shearwall in the future, it would seem perfectly OK since it would not appear to be effecting the shear wall.

As a side note:
Even with no calculated shear load there is a potential vertical component of seismic forces and out of plane forces. BTW I always specify "BP" washers for both sill plate anchors and holdown stud bolts in zone 3 and 4. IMHO anchor bolts are an inexpensive item to specify above code minimums. Field overdrilled sill holes and ratty PT sill plates in addition to the dynamic and impact earthquake loads convince me to be conservative with anchor bolts. For this reason I don't think taking a 1/3 increase in values are a good idea. I also I don't count the holdown as the first anchor and the first anchor should be 6" from the holdown anchor. For short sections of wall it is best to specify the *number* of anchors in addition to the spacing. Occasionally I hear some grumbling from contractors, but I have little sympathy if it was on the bid or pricing drawings.

Regards,
Jeff Smith
Anchor Bolt Nazi