Residential wood stud heights and stresses

      I would appreciate hearing what others do on 10' wood studs : 2 x 4 or 2
x 6 , particularly in tract work.
     '94 UBC table 23 I R 3 allows 2 x 4 up to 10' for a two story.
     Section 2304 limits stresses.
     Sec 2326.11.9 allows 25% notches (  7/8 " in 2x4 )
     Sec 2326.11.10 allows 40% bores ( 1-3/8 " in 2x4 ) but must be some
distance from a cut or notch ( 2" ? )
      I am working on a tract with 10' first floor plates, 20' 2nd floor joist
spans ( no light weight concrete ) , and 38' roof truss spans ( heavy tile ).
Standard grade studs are overstressed without any holes or notches, No. 2
grade studs is not common but they are overstressed if any bores or notches
are added ( sec 2308 : flex plus axial ). With current electrical, plumbing,
telephone, cable, sound, vacuum, etc, requirements i don't see how this could
ever be within stress limits. Not to mention a HD8 in a 4 x 4 !
      I am recommending 2 x 6 studs.
      The architect and developer are bewildered that i even consider this
when virtually all the tract houses in this area use 2 x 4 studs and it is
allowed by table 23 I R 3.
     When i consider this, i have in my mind the 2 story house in thousand
oaks i evaluated after the Northridge earthquake ( 20 mi. away) that was
similar and had almost every 2 x 4 stud on the first floor split and
shattered.
     Thanks in advance.

     Tom Harris, SE
     Thousand Oaks, CA