MBMA Code and Wind Loads

Unfortunately, ASCE 7 is succumbing to MBMA's wind load requirements, even
using the same drawings and charts that appear and have appeared for years in
MBMA's manual.  IMO the best wind load criteria for the U.S. was in ANSI
A58.1-1982.  After that, it went downhill quickly.

For the best reference on wind loads on low rise structures, I refer to,
"Wind Forces on Structures," Final Report, Task Committee on Wind Forces,
published in ASCE Transactions, Vol. 126, 1961, Part 2.  This report includes
charts from the Swiss Building Code that were developed from wind tunnel
tests on low rise structures, probably the only wind tunnel tests that were
conducted on low rise structures.  (These charts had been reproduced in the
AITC Manual, 1st and 2nd editions, but dropped from subsequent editions.)

A paper in the Fourth Quarter issue of AISC's "Engineering Journal,"
"Low-Rise Wind Load Provisions --- Where Are We and Where Do We Need to Go?"
by Gregory L. F. Chiu and Dale C. Perry, is another reference on wind
that 12 different documents will be available ..." for wind design of
low-rise structures.

The behavior of metal buildings subjected to wind is well documented in
reports, generally phrased something like, "As expected, pre-engineered metal
buildings fared badly during ..."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona