Re: Residential wood stud heights and stresses

Tom,

	This sounds like the exercise that I wnet through be fore I took the time
to generate design tables with EXCEL.  I found that mose of the notching
and drilling occurs at the duplex plug level and if you reflect upon the
analysis of a laterally loaded, axially loaded posts or studs subject to
bearing, bending and buckling.  Consider the forces at different points
along the length, because the maximums and values occur at different points
along the length.  You should find that the element has more capacity than
would be expected if all maximum values occur at the same place along the
length.

	Bill Warren, SE
	Newport Beach, CA