Re: Joist Girder Moment Frames?

Chris Palmateer wrote:

> I'm curious,  does anyone have any experience with utilizing open web steel
> joist girders as part of the lateral system in buildings?  Vulcraft will
> design the girders for the loading specified on the Drawings, but leaves the
> connection design to the EOR.  With the Northridge event, SAC
> recommendations, etc. , is this even a viable lateral system for new
> construction.  Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

I have a copy of the book, "Designing with Steel Joists, Joist Girders,
Steel Deck" written by Fisher, West, and Van De Pas.  An entire chapter
in the book is dedicated to different lateral load systems, including
moment connections in joists and joist girders.  You can obtain a copy
from Vulcraft.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.