MISC: Reality Check - Dumb Question

>>In the shearwall design, we would provide sufficient anchor bolts in each
panel to equal the capacity of the wall section. In otherwords, if the
shear
in the panel is 320 plf for four feet, we would specify two anchor bolts in
that four foot panel.

The question is Why?  If the capacity of the cumulative anchors in the 100
foot wall grossly exceed 5 kips, why add anchorage in the shearwall panel

section?<<

One reason would be redundancy. Just in case one or more of the anchor
bolts is defective, or not installed correctly or what have you, you would
still have the capacity you need.

Kate O'Brien
Simi Valley