RE: AutoCAD R14 Tip

Dennis:

>> I found this one on the Autodesk web site. If you use the "W" shortcut command within AutoCAD, you will be able to save objects from your drawing to a separate file (create details). <<

I'm not sure what command you're talking about. In the default R14 Acad.pgp file, W runs the WBLOCK command:

W,         *WBLOCK

There's also the BLOCK command (Acad.pgp alias = -B) and an AutoLISP program called BMAKE (alias = B), but both of these create a block definition in the current drawing, rather than write it out to a separate DWG file.

>> This is similar to Wblock except (and a big exception) you can bypass the block command and go straight to saving the chosen objects to your hard drive. <<

The WBLOCK command has always allowed you to bypass the BLOCK command.

Command: WBLOCK
[Specify new DWG file name in dialog]
Block name: [press ENTER to skip specifying an existing block name]
Insertion base point: [pick point]
Select objects: [do so]

>> The final advantage to this is that it will automatically save a thumbnail drawing which Wblock does not do. <<

WBLOCK saves a thumbnail on my system.

>> The objects are saved as blocks and also wblocks. <<

The WBLOCK command creates a new DWG file out of the objects, but does not create a block definition in the current drawing. If you insert the new DWG file back into the current drawing, then AutoCAD creates the block definition in that drawing.

- Mark Middlebrook