Re: Company Advertising

At 13:21 2/19/98 -0600, Joe Deppe wrote:
>I have monitored this site for quite some time now and have offered
>information and solutions to many inquiries without advertising any
>products.  The response to the Visio inquiries included information
>about Eagle Point as a reference point for more information, not to push
>the product
>
>I appreciate that this is not a 24-hour bulletin board for advertising
>and never intended to use it as one.  Other companies, or
>representatives of their companies, plug their products on this same
>site periodically and I see nothing wrong with it as long as we are
>offering an answer or solution to a problem.  We, vendors as a whole,
>are just trying to be of service in the best way possible...forgive our
>seemingly forward approach.

Joe Deppe:

[Bill Cain]  I think your post indicates that you still don't get it.  The
SEAOC website is a far more appropriate place to push your product (and it
would help support the cost of the website and listserver).  I believe the
four rapid fire messages from you and your colleague (Brent Straka) in a
very short time was quite excessive.

As Dennis Wish mentions, others have mentioned their product from time to
time but it has almost always been in the context of explaining a feature
that several list members have asked about (or else they got flamed just
like you did ;<).  If you want to see how it is done in a classy manner
look in the archives for some of the posts that Bruce Bates has done.  Note
the tone and timing of his messages.  They are informative, professional
and generally discuss a topic that goes beyond his product.  They also
don't bombard the list with multiple "marketing" messages over a very short
time.

In general, it is better to respond to a person's question directly with
product information (their email address is in the header) rather than
"shotgun" the list with advertising.  My organization does buy a fair
amount of structural software.  However, I, for one, would be very
reluctant to do business with your organization if that "pushy-ness" is
characteristic of your approach.  Regardless how good your product might
be, I prefer to deal with people who act like professionals.  The value of
the information (beyond the value to you as a vendor) you provided in all
four posts was marginal at best IMHO.

BILL CAIN, SE
OAKLAND, CA