Re: Joist Girder Moment Frames?

Section 2211.7.6 of the 1994 UBC (Section 2213.7.6 in 1997 UBC)
addresses this topic under the title "Trusses in SMRF".  Detailing
can be tricky.  In this circumstance it is desirable to satisfy a
weak column-strong beam criterion because the truss does not possess
much ductility.  Refer to the "Blue Book" for additional helpful
commentary.  Using a manufactured truss-girder might complicate the
situation as you will have more difficulty controlling the truss
detailing.

The Northridge earthquake did not produce any changes to this
section.