Re: Curved Steel Beams

Tom -

I think I'd try to do your roof with TS, tube sections.  I think they're
easier to bend, and they are also torsionally more stable than wide flange
beams.  I always feel that a double curved roof will get some torsion in the
members, even if we don't design for it.  I would also cross frame between the
main tubes with cross tubes connecting the main tubes at regular intervals.  I
would weld all the connections together.  Hopefully, this will create a steel
framework that acts like the turtle shell you are trying to build.  As they
say in school, "Form follows function".

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.