Re: CAD - Standard for Detail Names?????

Dennis -

Back in the pre-CAD days, we had a similar problem in locating "typical
details" to reuse via stickyback on new jobs.  Very quickly our library of
details got into the hundreds, and it was impossible to find anything.  We
solved the problem by creating a Detail Book.  The details in the Book are
shrunk down to fit 12 to a page on an 8-1/2" x 11" page - just big enough to
be recognizable.  The book was organized by material (concrete, steel, etc.)
and the pages numbered.  In our files we kept full size copies of the details
for stickybacking.  I could then look at the Book and tell my drafter I wanted
Detail 5 on Sheet C-3 (C for Concrete) and Details 2 and 7 on W-12, etc.  We
even created a little ordering form.  Everyone in the office has a copy of the
Book at their desk. This method was very easy and convenient for the staff -
both the engineers and the drafters.

When we switched to CAD, we kept the same system in place.  I still have the
Book at my desk, and the details are now stored in subdirectories in the
computer corresponding to page numbers in the book.  In each subdirectory,
there is a maximum of 12 details that would be on the single page in the Book.
For inputting into CAD, this is now trivial.  I tell my drafter I need detail
5/C-3, and he goes to subdirectory C-3 and gets file "05.dwg."

It works great, but only if you take the time to set up the Book up front.  Of
course, you can add to the Book as you go.  We do this often and reissue the
new pages as they change.  All told, we probably spent 3 weeks of someone's
time doing this at the beginning (over 6 years ago), and we have recouped that
time many times over by now.

As you well know, if you can't find your typical details they may as well not
be typical.

Good luck,

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.