SEAOC $10.00 dues increases objection

     The SEAOSC newsletter just came out and i have recieved a call about the
$10.00 dues increase. I am on the SEAOSC board of directors and i specifically
represent the members in Ventura, Santa Barbara , and San Lous Obispo
counties.
     The SEAOSC member SE in Ventura county complained about the dues
increase. He said that he did not see what he was getting for the extra money
. He said he would rather go back to the way it was 4 years ago with no state
office and roll back the dues to just the SEAOSC amount.
     Since it is my responsibility to respond to the requests of members in my
area, i thought i would ask other members of SEAOC what they think. Would you
rather pay lower dues ( about $120. instead of 195. ) and not have a state
office as i believe it was from 1929 to 1994. The contract is up this year and
a renewal should probably warrant an evaluation.
     When i tried to explain to the caller the benefits of state dues such as
the roster ( that he pointed out was skipped this year ) and reports on
legislation in plan review ( that he pointed out have been few and far between
lately) , i must say i was a little disappointed myself. Personally i don't
think $195. is too much to support the profession that i earn a good living
from. I pay more to be an AIA allied member for instance.
     At least i could point out that the local SEAOSC dues have not gone up
and there is a substantial reserve fund .
     If others can tell me all the benefits of paying the extra money for a
state office, i would appreciate hearing them so i can pass it on to others
footing the bill.
     Thanks in advance

     Tom Harris, SE
     Thousand Oaks, CA