Re: building classes

Jeff Smith wrote:

> I am working on some spawling repair to a 1927 seven story steel frame
> building with concrete infill. The original plans indicate it is a "class A"
> steel frame building. Does anyone know where I can get information that
> describes the requirements or specifications for a class A building?
>
> Regards,
> Jeff Smith
>   Jeff:

I assume the building might be in San Francisco.  The "classes" are some what
similar to current code Types of Construction (ie Types I - V).

The 1923 SF Building Code Section 74 defines  Class "A"  buildings as: " those
having fireproof frames of steel and with al structural parts of  incombustible
materials.  Walls shall be of brick, stone, concrete or reinforced concrete."

Class "B" building have reinforced concrete carrying all wall and floor loads.

Class "C' buildings are typically UMBs or concrete equivalents.