Silo roof slabs

I have written an article about continuity bending moments due to interstice
that the roof slab is monolitically anchored to the walls, which is the
usual practice in Brazil. One of the referees pointed out that "in the USA
most silo designers do not anchor the roof slabs to the top of the silo
walls". I wonder to what degree this applies to active earthquake regions
like California.
Bernardo Horowitz
Adjunct Prof. of Civil Engineering
The Federal University of Pernambuco - Brazil