Re: LGSS (Light Gauge Steel Studs) Need design example -Reply

Of course you are correct Tim but, unfortunately, if we base our design on
a manufacturer's catalog, invariably the contractor will want to make a
substitution. Based on my experience, the flange width and lip width vary
tremendously depending on manufacturer.

Also, I would caution those who totally rely on manufacturer's data for
allowable load. What happens if/when it fails? Is the SER going to put
his/her whole practice in the hands of a manufacturer's catalog? I
recommend that the engineer do some independent calculations if for no
other reason than to validate a comfort level with the catalog data.

The AISI design manual has a lot of clear detailed examples to assist the
engineer in preparing these calculations. After doing a few by hand, the
engineer could easily set up either a spreadsheet or Mathcad template to
reduce the calculation time. If the SER is not willing to go through this
effort, he/she IMHO should not be specifying a material he/she is not
expert.

Regards,
Bill Allen