Re: LGSS (Light Gauge Steel Studs) Need design example

I have been designing with light gage studs for approximately 18 years and
have found that studs lighter than 18 gage pose a problem in installation.
It is too easy to "strip" screws in the light gages, reducing the
effectiveness of the engineers design. I would also recumbent fasteners be
at least a #12 screw to help prevent the shearing of the fastener shank.
Knock on wood, I have not had a failure using the above criteria. I have
designed light gage studs as both bearing walls in "U-Haul" type two and
three story structures and as exterior walls in high-rise construction in
Nevada and California (up to thirty-three stories).

You might also look a computer program that has saved me an enormous amount
of time designing around Light Gage Steel Studs. A gentlemen in Missouri,
Robert Glauz, has updated his program "CFS" (Cold Formed Steel) to comply
with the new provisions of the 1996 AISI Specifications. It runs under
Windows 95/NT. This program has a built in library of standard sections
based on various manufactures section data and ASTM Steel grades. It has the
capability to add other libraries based on new or custom sections. The
Section analysis will give you full and effective section properties and
allowable loads.

The Analysis Section of the program, based on beam/stud layout loading,
supports, etc.. will determine moments, shears, deflections and reactions in
addition to unity checks based on ASD or LRFD. Web crippling and bearing can
also be checked. Wall studs, joists, purlins, hat sections or what ever
section you desire can be used in the analysis.

I tried writing a "Mathcad" program, but found "CFS" is much more
informative and complete. If you are interested, he sends out a demo of the
program. His e-mail is rsg(--nospam--at)sprintmail.com

I hope this helps.

David M. Boyer, P.E.