Re: SEAOC Committee Meetings / "picture phones"

Tom:

While video phone hardware can be purchased for as little as $150, there
are other factors that play a critical role in its performance. Namely:

1. The processor speed (Pentium II 233 Mhz recommended)

2. The line speed ( 384 Kbps recommended for 32 fps. 33.6 modem can do at
best 6 fps. Real time digital video is 40 fps )

3. Memory ( Minimum 64 Mb recommended for Win 95 and NT 4.0, 128 Mb
recommended for Win 98)

4. A video capture card. Ordinary VGA cards don't work well. Cost of a
video capture card ranges from $90 to $400.

I am currently testing this technology for the SEAOC server. I am working
towards a "video list server". Imagine that! (Now we have to see Bill Allen
and Dennis).

My feeling at this point is that the technology is about 18 months to go
before you see it in common use. Currently, the biggest factor keeping this
technology from growing is the limited band width of our analog phone lines.

Hope that helps.

Shafat Qazi