RE: LGSS - Opinion on Stud pins in steel studs verses scr

It does help Tom. As it turns out, it adds about $70.00 per home (my client
worked out the math) which was not incentive to use the pins. I have already
refused to approve them since I have been uncomfortable with the current
allowances to lighter gauge studs and acceptance of the '97 code values for
steel studs. Since pins have not been tested or encompased in Professors
Serrette's testing, I have refused to approve their use on this project
until conclusive information is provided.
On the defense, I have reviewed samples of panels "nailed" with these pins
and they do appear tight through 7/16" OSB and 15/32" Plywood. I just don't
know if the results are consistant and capable by non-professionals
(owner-builders).
Thanks for the caution.

Dennis Wish PE