Re: SEAOC Committee Meetings

BAllenSE(--nospam--at)pacbell.net write:
>  I sure would hate to be on a committee where you were a member.

wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com write:
>  Anyone who has sat with Kariotis or Ben Schmidt knows of their staunch, at
>  times narrow opinions,

Perhaps virtual committee meetings do have a benefit I've overlooked.  Ben and
I served on the committee that wrote UCBC Appendix Chapter 5 (bracing of
cripple walls in light wood frame construction).  We had some heated debates,
and almost got into a shoving match at one meeting when we sat in adjacent
chairs.  Thereafter, we made a point of always sitting on opposite sides of
the table.  Such situations couldn't occur in virtual meetings, where the
worse that could happen would be to be flamed in caps.  ;-)

BAllenSE(--nospam--at)pacbell.com write:
>  I truely believe that, if left up to you, we would still be using an
abacus.

Well, I've been called many things, but never a Luddite.  I'm a fan of
technology (what the maketeers call an 'early adopter').  My skepticism about
virtual committee work is not based on the limitations of technology as much
as on a realistic acknowledgment of human behavior and predilections.  FYI
Bill, I built an Altair from a kit in 1975 (the first pc commercially
available to the public).  Three years later, when the first really useful and
robust disk operating system was offered by NorthStar Computers, I bought
their Horizon model, a two-floppy system with an 8-bit Z80 chip running under
N*SDOS, and later, CP/M.  I still use that system occasionally for simple
tasks, using WordStar, Supercalc and DBase.  Come to think of it, perhaps that
is a bit Neanderthalish.  But the system, including a TeleVideo terminal and a
NEC Spinwriter, is absolutely stable and dependable for the tasks it is used
for, and has never let me down the way this newfangled #!%@#!% Wintel system
does every so often.   :-))

Frank Lew, SE
Orinda, CA