RE: SEAOC $10.00 dues increases objection

One way SEAOC can reward and promote volunteer participation is to offer a
reduction of dues for those who complete on year of committee work. Imagine
how many would jump at the chance to become more active if their dues were
cut in half.
It never hurts to recognize those that participate, however, SEA(all
chpaters) tend to credit the chairs of these committees over the individual
members who participate and spend an equale amount of time and effort to
further the efforts of our professional organizations.
It was suggested that SEAOSC start to do a better job of recognizing the
individual and it was also suggested that as a reward SEAOSC spring for a
first class air ticket when the member travels to a committee meeting.
The thought was admirable, but this is obviously a waste. I, for one, would
gain much more having my dues cut in half as recognition for my participater
than to sit in a seat with more leg and arm room and the smell of leather.
However, I applaud the idea that members, not just committee chairs, be
rewarded for their selfless efforts.
Recognition and simple cudo's are something that SEAOC (and all chapters)
fails miserably to extend.

Dennis Wish PE