Re: Post Earthquake Safety and Damage Assessments

The draft plan has been replaced with the final plan published in 1992
entitled "Post-Disaster Safety Assessment Plan."

Very simply, when local government needs assistance they call their
Operational Area and request the help they need.  The Operational Area
coordinates all such calls within the area and makes a single request to
OES.  We then activate the program through the State Organizations (SEAOC,
ASCE, AIA, ACIA, and CALBO).  It is a pretty straight forward approach.

This process must be followed for two reasons:  1) it is the established
procedure by the State of California Master Mutual Aid Agreement; and 2) it
is the established procedure of the State of California Emergency Services
Act which ensures that all liability protection and workers compensation
coverages are in effect.

The "Post-Disaster Safety Assessment Plan" was written to local government
on how to access the program.  As such, distribution has been limited to
local governments.  Please contact me by direct E-mail and I'll see what I
can do about getting you copies of information we have developed on the
program.

E-mail address:  Richard_Ranous/oes(--nospam--at)oes.ca.gov