Re: Ductility demand and Ductility capacity

youngkj(--nospam--at)mail.dwconst.co.kr wrote:

> I've performed pushover analysis for two buildings.
> The specified story drift is 1/50.
> The ductility is calculated as the ratio of the last story drift to the
> elastic drift.
> For examples, ductilitys for both buildings are 2.5 and 3.5 respectively.
> Is it possible to say that the ductility demand of the building with 2.5 is
> higher than that of the other ?

The ductility demand ratio of 3.5 is higher than 2.5, it simply mean
that for that particular drift (demand force), the structure needs to
undergo an inelastic deformation of 3.5 x elastic deformation.

> If that is correct, how can I obtain the ductility capacity of those
> buildings ?

you can trace and plot the hinge formation at each stage of yielding to
see if you have reached a collapse mechanism stage.  Just keep on
pushing the structure further until it is at the verge of collapse.

Tom Chiu, SE
Thomas Engineering