RE: SEAOC $10.00 dues in

Roger,

One thing puzzles me about your post. I think I may have missed your point.
You were pleased to be a member of an organization that offered you specials
on publications. You felt that they cared enough for their membership to
offer a cost saving incentive in hopes of increasing the number of members
in time.
But as they became more stingy in their offerings, you became more resentful
and finally could see not incentive to continue paying dues.
Is this correct or have I missed something.
Why, then would I reconsider my position why you have done so well to
support it?

My remarks were in reply to a post from another member who suggested ways to
increase participation and reward those who take an active interest in their
professional community.
I don't believe my idea is a bad one. As you pointed out, the stingier and
more restrictive ASTM became the more you resented their position and the
less likely you were to participate.
One nagging problem with SEAOC (and each chapter) is the lack of volunteers
for committe work. Certainly SEA chapter would be appreciative with a growth
of new members. Checking through each issue of SEAOSC Newsletter we see
anywhere from ten to twenty new members each month. I'm not sure how many
are lost each year, but it would seem to me that you could intice more
professional community spirit by offering incentives to members to
participate.
SEAOSC offers incentive programs all the time. They recognize a committee
chair who has done an outstanding job and they pay homage to him by plaque,
admission to a convention or any number of ways. Don't you believe that it
SEAOC could gain more members and committee volunteers by offering "perks"
on membership dues or as you suggested, reductions in the cost of seminars
and publications?

I think this could stand a little time to explore.
Dennis Wish PE