Re: AutoCadLT/12/14 Layering problems

Kathleen A. O'Brien wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am working on several projects with a drafting/architectural service that
> works in Autocad 14. I work in Autocad LT, which is compatible with 12.
>
> They send me Arch dwgs in 12 which they have converted from 14. I open them
> up in LT, freeze the layers I don't want, add new layers with structural
> data, save and email back to them or directly to the printer.
>
> What has happened is that somewhere during these transitions, some of the
> frozen layers get unfrozen, and we end up with second floor framing members
> on the foundation plan, yadayada.  At least I think that's what is
> happening; its the simplest explanation I can come up with that fits the
> data.
>
> This is really a mess. I was all set to stamp one project tomorrow and now
> I can't until we straighten this out (not to mention billing the Client).
>
> Has anyone else had this experience? What I have done is to open up all the
> drawings, unfreeze the layers I don't want and erase everything from them.
> Is there an eaiser/quicker way to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kate (in a very crummy mood right now) O'Brien, P.E.
> Simi Valley

I typically cross-reference the architectural drawings into my
structural framing and/or foundation drawings.  You manipulate the
architectural drawing (i.e. colors, visibility, etc.) without actually
changing it.  The architect, electrical, mechanical, equipment people
etc. can xref the framing plan on top of their drawings as well.  This
way everyone can see what everyone else is doing without screwing up
somebody else's drawings.  I never!!!! allow anyone to modify my
drawings and send them back.  You might as well stamp a blank sheet.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
Bossier City, Louisiana