RE: SEAOC $10.00 dues in

Sorry to get you involved, but I'm glad you have. I wrote one other post
that clearly states my position on voluntering. But I also feel that
organizations have two primary goals outside of the work they accomplish -
generate members and generate income.
Incentive programs are not new and can be effective. I would think that in
the case of ASTM, they were not generating enough return on their incentive
program.
There is no equality in a professional organization when those how volunteer
put out as much or more effort than those who simply pay dues. With less
than 5% of our profession taking an active interest in the evolution of
their profession, we will continue to have cash flow problems and fight the
competition for professional membership (whose club will I join this year).
Roger, I'm not sure how much you participate, but you do voice your opinon
on this list in much the same way a committee member does. This is far more
effort than is expounded by 95% of the roster.
SEAOC has tried guilt - list the names publically of all of the members who
are delinquent in their dues, beg for volunteers, preach professional civic
responsibility etc.
If incentive programs increase membership and income to the organization,
what harm will it do to the paid roster. In my thinking, it will only make
them think that if they "pay their dues" on committee's they will get a
break on their dues. This kind of return benifits everyone including the
public.
Reduction in the price of publications is something we have learned to
expect with membership dues - we get a break on seminars, publications over
non-members. Yes everyone is treated the same, however, members are treated
special over non-members. Therefore, let volunteers be treated a little
better than non-participants.
Roger, if does not incite those who already volunteer to do more because
they devote their time and efforts for other than personal gain - something
I tend to respect more. But this is a world with much work for our
organization to do in order to keep up. If perks are the only way to
generate the work we need accomplished, what's the harm?

Dennis Wish PE