Re: Light Gage Steel Design Software

Warning to any engineers considering purchasing Prop86 for the design of
light gage steel sections.  The program, which sells for $495 DOES NOT
include the shape data bases.  When it says that "Manufacturer's rolled
shape data bases are avaialble" it means that these data bases are available
from the vendor for $95 per manufacturer. So if you use Dietrich and MSMA
shapes you would pay $95 each for the data bases.

I went back and looked at the sales literature that was supplied by Suretie
and although it refers to the shape data bases nowhere does it explain they
are an extra charge.  It has been our experience with the wood and steel
design programs that we have purchased that the shape data bases for steel
and wood shapes have always been included.  Visual Analysis 3D even includes
light gage steel sections in addition to rolled steel shapes, solid sawn
timber, glulam beams and a wide variety of other shapes in it's program
which coincidentally also costs around $500.  Unfortunately Visual Design
does not do AISI code checks at this time.

The program appears to be well constructed and useful and came to us highly
recommended but be advised that you may be spending a little more than you
think.