Re[2]: SEAOC Committee Meetings

     Ernie Natividad wrote <in part>:

     <<I am going ahead with my proposal to start a Committee on the
     Listserver. I'll call it "VIRTUAL COMMITTEE". I'll declare the
     following as "FOUNDERS"; Dennis Wish, Ernie Natividad, Bill Allen,
     Rick Drake, Frank Lew and Bill Cain. These are the only people who are
     involved so far and hopefully we can add more people later. Yes, I
     included Frank and Rick because I don't believe that they don't want
     the committee, they just have concerns about it's success. Their
     negative comments should be treated as constructive criticisms. Unless
they don't want to, then, they can request to be excluded. Anyway, I still
welcome them and encourage them as they will be the starting point and basis
for
how we can make this Virtual Committee work.>>

I appreciate you adding me to the "Virtual Committee" membership as a
Charter
Member.  I'm not sure that you will want me, because I am not an advocate of

100% electronic committees.  I am an advocate of 100% effective, useful
committees.

As my previous post to the list server indicated, I object to Dennis Wish's
100%
electronic committee meetings, for the reasons stated.  I didn't as clearly
state it, but I also object to 100% face-to-face meetings, for some of the
reasons that Dennis Wish has stated.  I know this may sound "clearly
nebulous",
but I think each SEAOC Committee should find an appropriate balance between
100%
face-to-face and 100% electronic, depending on the needs of the committee.

In other words, a SEAOC committee should exist to achieve a specific
objective(s), not just for the heck of it.  I think that puts me in
agreement
with Bill Allen on this point.)  The committee should achieve the specific
objective(s) with a membership appropriate to the task, using tools
appropriate
for the task.  If the objectives are best met by a 100% electronic committee,

then that is the proper tool.  But if the objective is best met by a 100%
face-to-face committee or some 50%-50% committee, then that is the tool that

should be used.  Let's not use a hammer to force a threaded screw into a
square
hole.

Now, here is where I think the Virtual Committee can make a meaningful
contribution.  Establish electronic protocols, etc. to make available to any

SEAOC Committee to use as a tool, when appropriate, to achieve its objective.

If this tool is available, I am sure the more computer literate committee
chairs
will make use of it, slowly dragging along those who are less computer
literate.
I'm afraid any attempts to force electronic committees on the computer
illiterate will slow down the education process, and discourage valuable
contributors to the SEAOC process.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Inc.