Re: Stainless Steel Reinforcement

     Charlie,

     I would be careful in using stainless steel for rebar.  We have
     studied this option in the past and there are several items you should
     consider:

     1. What ASTM would you specify for deformed stainless steel rebar?

     2. Not all stainless steels are good in resisting salts.  You need to
     specify the correct type of stainless steel.

     3.  Although many fabricators can supply stainless steel smooth bar,
     there are very few suppliers of deformed stainless steel bar.
     Availability in quantity is a critical concern.

     4.  Are the bond characteristics the same for stainless steel as for
     A615 bars (i.e. are the splice formulas in ACI applicable?).

     5.  Are the minimum bending radius the same for stainless steel as for
     A615?  Do you bend stainless steel hot or cold?  What are the strain
     hardening characteristics?

     6. For a high seismic zone what are the ductility characteristics of
     stainless steel?

     7. The last time I check a few years ago, deformed stainless steel was
     at least 5 times more expensive than A615 and delivery was several
     months.

     There are many other items but the main point is that in theory
     stainless steel would be a good solution to resist corrosion, however
     there are many unanswered questions when you actually get into the
     detailed design.

     Thomas Hunt, S.E.
     Fluor Daniel